Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Getting Down to Business...

I'm supposed to be making a new entry every day. Well sometimes the mood strikes you, and sometimes it's just not doing it for you. This is one of those days...

I went on my auditions on Friday which went great. I'm not sure about the vodka industrial, but I did land a role on the NYFA student film The Frankenstein Virus. AWESOME!! I'll be playing Bruno, a hitman/thug type which will prove to be fun, I trust. I'm just waiting for the final draft of the script to be written. To be honest, I've been doubtful about landing future roles. Not that I'm ever going to stop pursuing my acting career, but I figure once is a fluke, so if you land another role, you're on to something. If you can convince two directors that you're the right actor for the role, you can convince three, and then four, and so on, and so on. So... I'm officially on to something.

And I gotta tell ya, I don't know what all the fuss is about with auditioning. I mean, I get nervous just as much as the next person, but honestly, I find auditions fun. I've noticed some people look at auditioning as if the director is looking for a reason to eliminate you from the list. The reality of the situation is quite the opposite. He wants you to succeed. He wants you to reach down inside and pull out what his project needs. For example, I went on an audition for a Snickers spec commercial. Spec commercials are like television pilots for advertisers. If Snickers decides to pursue this "story line", then yay for me, or whoever is chosen. So, the premise of this commercial is that a few friends are hanging out and here comes "Sam", who proceeds to spittle bits and pieces of Snickers all over your face whenever he talks to you. So when I was auditioning, we tried many different takes on how the characters might interact. First I played the role of "Sam the spitter", and the director made every effort to get my performance just as he envisioned it. We tried different ideas on how the Sam character might act, and then I played the role of one of the guys who has to deal with the Sam character and his incessant spittling. It was just as it was supposed to be. And life was good... w00t!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home